Monday 6 April 2009

Wake in Fright

"Wake in Fright" is a working title that I have shamelessly poached from my grandfather. Perhaps as things progress, I will find something of my own that suits. But for now, it will have to do. I chose the title because my grandfather's novels have inspired me to see outback Australia. I chose the title because of the nights of the week gone by when I have woken, frightened at 5 a.m. I chose the title because my grandfather was a brilliant writer, whose work I have always aspired to emulate. This blog is my first public attempt to do so.

I am moving to Alice Springs on Sunday. I find this slightly baffling. It's one of those notions that seem like a very good idea while sipping Beer Laos by the river in 2008, but by 2009 seem bizarre and somehow unnecessary. Beer Laos leads you to shout magnanimously at your Australian companion about discovering one's own country and combi-vans (in various combinations.) Beer Laos lead me to fill in the application form for a rural social work placement. I blame Beer Laos.

In 2009, my magnanimous attitude towards outback Australia has become one of mild apprehension and, to be honest, total denial. I haven't packed. I haven't found anywhere to live. I don't know anyone there. When people politely ask me about my imminent move, I only grunt in reply. I have stuck my head in the sand dune, as it were. In fact, if we were really to analyse things, this blog is one of those elaborate procrastinations that appear to be in support of your overall goal, but is actually you putting things off.

My denial is mainly the product of ignorance. I know very little about Alice Springs or what I should expect when I arrive.

What I know so far about Alice Springs: 1. It might be very cold (the phrase "below freezing" was used in my placement interview and I am having trouble reconciling this with the words "outback" and "desert") 2. It's depressing (see next paragraph) 3. Food is expensive 4. Aboriginal people are not allowed to drink in the pubs.

Reactions to my move are fairly evenly divided into two groups. The group that thinks it's going to be a wonderful, soul-enriching experience and the group that says, "You're barking mad - Alice is a hole." What worries me is that on further questioning, only the latter group tend to have actually been there.

"Wake in Fright" (the original) is a story about the harsh brutality of the outback and of human beings in their behaviour towards themselves and each other. This is a rather pessimistic first posting in what I hope will be a good experience. I wonder, will I find the Australian outback harsh and brutal? Will the people I find there be harsh and brutal? As a social worker I expect things will be difficult but ultimately I expect that I will find that Beer Laos was on to a good thing when it made me sign those forms.

2 comments:

Felix said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Felix said...

I really like your blog Sophie- what a great idea, and what a great thing to be doing! I hope you have a really good time!